Last week, the RE classes learned about energy conservation by participating in a TFAA game show. They also came up with some great reasons why saving energy is important such as:
* I like having an inhabitable Earth. (high school)
* Without electricity, we wouldn’t have smoke alarms. (1st/2nd grade)
* So that future generations can use it too. (5th grade)
* Stop global warming and the greenhouse effect. (3rd/4th grade)
Next week will be a lay led service and students will stay in service. February 8th will be a spirit circle and all RE classes will begin in room 101/103. We’ll be making valentines for the CARE committee to distribute.
RE Class Information and Guide Schedule:
- RE Guide Schedule for February 1st: (lay led- children remain in service)
- o 9th-12th: Jason and Julie
- RE Guide Schedule for February 8th: (spirit circle- children begin in room 101/103)
- o Prek/k: Lorraine
- o 1st/2nd: Sarah and Sherry
- o 3rd/4th: Yiesul and Wendy
- o 5th: Neil
- o 6th-8th:
- o 9th-12th: Julie and Kim
- o Shadows: Lynn and Michelle
- Please see the RE bulletin board in the fellowship hall and https://regluu.wordpress.com/ for important RE information and announcements.
- Interested in becoming a guide, shadow, sub, or volunteer? Have a child in RE and want to find out more about the program? Are you a guide who wants to explore interesting and relevant topics for the RE classroom? If so, one or more of these sessions may be for you…
- o Saturday, January 31st– (10:00-12:00 in the prek/k classroom) Spirit Play training for the prek/k classroom (Please note that if you attend this session, you will receive a training manual and cd. Please RSVP so I know how many manuals/cds to make.)
- o Sunday, February 22nd– (9:45-10:15 in the DRE office) Becoming a shadow and working with students with special needs
- o Sunday, February 22nd– (12:30-1:30 in room 101/103) Nursery volunteer and employee training (Please note that you must be at least eleven years old to volunteer and thirteen years old to work in the nursery.)
- o Sunday, March 22nd– (9:45-10:15) Responsive classroom as it relates to the RE classroom (strategies for community building, holding classroom meetings, social curriculum)
- Please let me know if you have a special interest in any of the following topics: reducing your carbon footprint, water conservation, trees, gardening, and/or pollution. We will be doing monthly spirit circles and would love some experts to share information and lead the lesson.
- Our first birthday celebration was a success. The February birthday party will be on Sunday, February 22nd following service. If you have a February birthday, make sure to turn in a birthday sheet in the DRE mailbox and RSVP to email@example.com.
- February 24 (Scotty’s Brewhouse fundraiser) All you have to do is bring in a flyer and the church will receive 10% of the profits for your meal purchase. More details to follow! Thanks for a successful Puccini’s night. The restaurant said it was the most successful fundraiser night they’ve had so far. We raised $316.05. Thanks for your continued support!